This is a free service allowing people to give away things and to make requests – free things, no selling or buying. This service is totally independent of Westchester Community Services.
To learn more, click any link or go to the trashnothing page.
The following is their (trash nothing!) description.
The trash nothing! site is simply an alternate interface for existing freecycle groups around the world. The site was designed to make freecycling easier and solve a lot of the problems that the existing groups have from using Yahoo Groups (such as spam and email overload among other things).
Clicking any listing will connect you to the trashnothing site.
The idea of freecycling is to promote the three R’s (Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle) by making it easy for people to give away their unwanted but reusable items to people who can use them.
And the way it works is that there are thousands of locally run, grassroots freecycling groups around the world. Once you find and join your local groups, you can post ‘Offers’ for items you want to give away, or ‘Wants’ for items you need (as long as you follow some basic rules shown below).
For example, here is how offering an item works:
- You have a bike you don’t need and you want to dispose of it.
- Instead of throwing it away, you join your local freecycling group.
- You then submit an ‘Offer’ post to the group that describes your bike and your general location and your post will be sent to all the members of the group.
- Group members interested in your bike will reply to your post to contact you privately.
- You choose which person you would like to give the bike to.
- Between the two of you, you arrange a time and place for them to come and pick up the bike.
- Your bike is picked up.
- You let everyone on your local group know that the bike is no longer available by marking your ‘Offer’ post as taken.
- You’ve given away your bike with little effort to someone who can use it, met someone new from your community and kept something out of the landfill. Great for you and the planet!
Similarly, when you need an item you can create a new ‘Wanted’ post and if someone has what you need, they will contact you to offer it.